escip in touch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Takes a long time to "get into it"

Go down

Takes a long time to "get into it" Empty Takes a long time to "get into it"

Post  cutexin Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:52 am

I had very high hopes for Mad Men given the wildly positive reviews given in the Criminal Minds series on dvd press. I'm in advertising so the subject matter is interesting to me -- but this series is a tough sell.I was bored beyond belief for the first two episodes, and had to force my way through the first disc. It was dull, plodding, and dreary. The show goes out of its way to show a 'slice of life' from roughly 1960, and sometimes Two and a Half Men seasons 1-7 collection in doing that they lose the momentum of the show. It's difficult to like any of the characters so there isn't a lot of emotion to the story. The series buy Veronica Mars season sets doesn't really pick up until late in disc 2 when you see all the subplots start to intertwine. By the end of disc four you're interested in what happens, but frankly Frasier shop I wouldn't be disappointed if I never saw another episode.The acting, set and costume design are all well done -- it just doesn't move fast enough.There have been some complaints about the case but I have no problem with it. Closing it can be a little annoying when the discs don't line up with the slots correctly, but it's fine.I like the Play All menu selection so you can watch all the episodes on a disc back-to-back. I'm glad to see they include that when so many other sets do not.I really wanted to like this series more One Tree Hill collection 1-7 seasons than I do. But I'm left with an "eh, I can Nip Tuck dvd box set take it or leave it" attitude. Merchandise arrived on time. Disc 2 will not play. I'm not sure if the problem is with my player or the disc. NOT the fifties and early sixties that I remember. Two excellent scenes out of the Oz set series 1-6 whole season, the rest dreck. I have now order Desperate Housewives re-watched Mad Men, Season One, a number of times and my opinion of it has improved, though I still find the lead characters, Don and Betty Draper, to be insufferable. He's a cad, a liar, a jerk, an Charmed 1-8 series season egomaniac, totally devoid of humor and not very bright into the bargain. Betty is an empty-headed, selfish, childish, vindictive bitch, and she's not a very good mother, either. The actress playing her should be booted Rome seasons series 1-2 from SAG. She should at least be given elocution lessons and taught how to pronounce contracted words, like 'wouldn't', 'shouldn't' and 'didn't' which, from her pouting little lips come out, 'wunt' 'shunt' and 'dint'. Regardless, I am hooked on Mad Men! Though it is still impossible to The West Wing complete 1-7 dvd believe that Peggy Olson did not know she was pregnant until she gives birth! Don's history sale all seasons of Miami Vice series is also a stretch but Married with Children season complete his secret hillbilly background lays the foundations for some depth in his story.I have purchased the subsequent seasons (2 & 3) and await Season 4's release on dvd. I don't have cable or satellite, not just for one show worth watching, so I have to wait with bated breath. The series got much better after Season 1.Mad Men is like an evil Dick Van Dyke Rome collection 1-2 series show. It's often very funny and the characters, beyond the Draper couple, are well-drawn and complex. Babylon 5 dvd collection There is some fine acting by Elisabeth Moss (Peggy Olson) and Vincent Kartheiser (Peter Campbell).And I love Joan Holloway played by Christina Hendricks. Recommended, Rome episodes on dvd but the kids probably won't liked it. The West Wing season boxset 1-7 It's adult drama and is full (too full) of Don's boring sexual exploits. I hope they tone that down eventually, it's getting really boring, all that closely-miked lip-smacking and heavy breathing is too adolescent for a show of this quality. In America there was a thing called the culture wars. The right said that up till the sixties things had been going well. The family unit was solid and because it was solid the nation was solid. The key to keeping the family together was strict sexual morality, the acceptance of woman as a home maker and the importance of raising children with strong values. If children had values they did not break the law, worked hard and society prospered. Along came the sixties and women had conflicting roles. Morality fell apart and Sons of Anarchy seasons box set the divorce rate went through roof. Single familles were thrown into poverty and crime The Shield season dvds boxset became rampant. The culture war Ghost Whisperer season 1-5 dvd was an attack on the changes in society in the latter half of the twentieth century which saw the emancipation of woman, ending laws against homosexuality and the development of governmental roles to improve society. This series appears to Mad Men seasons box set be a strong counter attack against the Cold Case boxset 1-7 collection right suggesting a new model of what the fifties were like. It suggests that the developments in the sixties were against a society of the fifties seeped in racism, homophobia and misogyny. Part of the appeal of the series seems to be a smug satisfaction by the viewer of how much things are better Castle seasons on dvd now and what repellent creeps are portrayed in the show. On a superficial level the characters smoke constantly, drink to excess and eat food drenched in dairy products. Anyone seeing the show now would realise that this sort of behaviour Family Guy 1-8 box set seasons would lead to a life expectancy of about fifty. The male characters are white and who despise Jews. Any contact with women is predatory.And of course there is some truth in the picture. If you want women to not have sexual contact prior to marriage and not to engage in affairs there must be strong social prohibitions in place. Whilst the fifties might have seen Chuck 1-3 collection boxset lower rates of pre-marital sex it was a period when terms such Entourage seasons on dvd as "slut", "mole" and "whore" were not only in use but could Nikita 1-5 box set collection be used to achieve social exclusion. A society which has "strong Angel boxset dvd morality" is a society which is intolerant, judgemental and exclusive. The major problem with the show is not so much the politics it espouses. Rather it is rather slow moving. One is not so much Fringe complete series 1-2 interested in the development of the story. Rather it is like watching a train wreck. It is a bit repellent but you feel compelled to watch it never the less. Four hours of my life Eureka complete boxset 1-4 I wish I could have back. Great acting, amazing costumes and sets; unfortunately not one remotely interesting thing happened the entire time I watched (well half watched- I kept falling asleep). Imagine transporting yourself back in time to an ad Entourage complete seasons office and spying on the goings on there; thats all there is to this show! When I watch a show I like to be transported to somewhere more interesting, my real life has more going on than this show!

cutexin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum