escip in touch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting, but come on, was the '60s REALLY like this?

Go down

Interesting, but come on, was the '60s REALLY like this? Empty Interesting, but come on, was the '60s REALLY like this?

Post  cutexin Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 am

I have heard people rave about this show and how smartly written it is, and Medium dvd 1-6 box set how well it captures the atmosphere of the 1960s. It doesn't. It captures the LOOK Ghost Whisperer set of the '60s brilliantly, but The Office dvd 1-6 complete otherwise, it's a caricature of that era. EVERY male character is a despicable, philandering, sexist pig who leads a pathetically empty life devoid of real meaning. Every suburban scene positively drips with the implication that these people all live utterly superficial, meaningless, shallow, phony lives, wearing polite smiles that they show each other, even as they connive and gossip maliciously behind Prison Break collection 1-4 complete each others' backs. And no one, but NO ONE is actually happy. Every man and Cold Case tv series on dvd woman walks through life like a robot, doing what's expected and appropriate, and all secretly unhappy and unfulfilled. There are no characters Prison Break dvd box set who really like their jobs, no husbands Medium seasons series 1-6 and fathers who truly love their wives and children, no wives who are genuinely happy to be raising their kids because they love them and love motherhood, etc. What we seem to have here is an overreaction to the classic "Leave It To Beaver" or "Father Knows Best" view of life presented in the shows of this era. If those shows over-sanitized life and presented a too idealized vision of American life, then I think this one goes too far in the other direction, and tries to make life back then look stylish and sharp on the surface, but totally rotten, corrupt, cheap, and ugly underneath. The truth almost certainly lies somewhere in between.Take a look at how people behave on this show. While I'm sale all seasons of The Unit dvd sure sexism and sexual harassment were a bit worse back then, it simply buy Leverage series couldn't have been THIS bad. Nikita dvd complete In one scene, in the first episode, one of the young executives looks a new girl up and down like a piece of meat, and then proceeds to offer gratuitous and explicit criticism of her her appearance Castle seasons dvd 1-2 and advice on how to sex NCIS 1-7 series collection herself up, right to her face. Come on! Sexual harassment was, as I said, probably worse back then, but this is outrageously rude behavior by ANY standard, and I know that simple good manners and politeness did exist back then. The same character then asks this girls boss when he can MASH seasons on dvd have his turn with her, as though it simply goes without saying that she'll sleep with him; it's just a regular perk that goes along with the job, like having a key to the executive washroom. Later MASH sale seasons set on, another male character, who hasn't been so crude, spends a little time building rapport with this same girl, and she's glad to meet someone who appears genuinely nice and friendly. And then the next thing you know, he gets her in an office, locks the door, and tries to start taking her clothes off. Message loud and clear: he's just like Rescue Me complete episodes dvd all the rest. Now really, was there ever a time when Sanctuary dvd complete set ALL men just took it for granted that every attractive woman buy Veronica Mars complete sets was available and willing, and any woman who is nice to order CSI:NY a guy will just roll onto her back for him at the first opportunity? I don't think so.And the writer's portrayal of racism, and classism is every bit as much a caricature Star Trek Voyager set complete 1-7 as their portrayal of sexism. This show is stylish, the dialogue is smartly written, the actors' performances are top notch, and the production values are superb. The show recaptures the appearance of the order all seasons of The Wild Wild West early 1960s brilliantly. But the treatment of how people lived and worked and acted is not nearly so well done. Got my set today 7/12, and played the first disc and watched the first two episodes and Sanctuary 1-2 box set complete notice several visual glitches. The first two the picture seemed to freeze for a few seconds then continued on with the scene. The third one it look like a film strip broke and got stuck on the screen before continuing on . Anyone else have this problem? In some of the Star Trek The Original 1-3 season Hype for this show the Sopranos is mentioned, do not rate this show as anything like or as good as Sopranos, it is OK, watchable, and how it won so many awards I am not sure about.Anyway; The opening title sequence features credits superimposed over a graphic animation of a business man falling from a height, surrounded by skyscrapers Macgyver complete series dvds with reflections of period advertising posters and billboards, accompanied by a short edit of the instrumental "A Beautiful Mine" by Aceyalone and RJD2. The titles pay homage to graphic Sex and the City 1-6 season collection designer Saul Bass's skyscraper filled opening titles for Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest (1959) and falling man movie poster for Vertigo (1958) - Weiner has listed Hitchcock as Two and a Half Men season 1-7 dvd a major influence on the visual style of the series.I was not impressed with the openining titles even knowing the above, it just for me did not fit in with era, and watching the 1st 2 episodes does not compliment it in anyway, it looks cheap.Don Draper(Jon Hamm) and Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss aka Zoey Bartlet The West Wing) carry the first 2 episodes. Elisabeth you were so good and sexy in The West Wing, were you hard up to be in this.Its OK, but its not up there with The Sopranos, Rome collection 1-2 boxset The West Wing and all the other great DVD TV packages Gossip Girl complete flying out now. I have read the amazing reviews for this show. I saw all the Emmy nominations that it received. This seemed like a definite winner to me. I love quality dramas from television (Dexter, Damages, Friday Night Lights, True Blood set 1-2 seasons etc) so I eagerly awaited watching this show.I The King of Queens complete dvd collection desperately wanted to like it, but I found it to be just ok. The only characters that I was interested in were Peggy (played expertly by Elisabeth Moss) and also Pete (wonderfully played by Vincent Kartheiser). Merlin 1-2 box set seasons Most of the other characters were boring to me. Most of the storylines, although interesting, were far from compelling. In fact, they became repetitive. Sure, the show is very well acted. It is Prison Break set 1-4 season also technically amazing, evoking the early 1960s in every scene. I just wish the storylines had drawn me in a bit deeper. I wanted to care, but I didn't.

cutexin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum